FootballScoop's Fifth Quarter
- Published: Friday, 01 March 2013 22:38
- by Zach Barnett
In the (rare) case that you didn't get to see all of the best content on FootballScoop this week, the Fifth Quarter is here to get you caught up.
The Starting Five: here are the five best articles we published this week.
- He's won a Super Bowl as an assistant, a World Football League title as a head coach, served as the executive director of the NFL Coaches Association for 13 years, and now he's leading the Incarnate Word program as it transitions from Division II to Division I. 10 Questions with Larry Kennan.
- In what has turned into a hot-button topic for nearly two months now, Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen came out this week in support of the NCAA's recruiting deregulation proposals...with a twist.
- Our own Doug Samuels had a chance to attend a clinic last week and peek inside the minds of Michigan State's Pat Narduzzi, Tulsa's Greg Peterson and respected strength coach Mike Barwis. Inside the Glazier football clinic.
- With his first spring ball at California underway, Sonny Dykes explained the benefits of practice scuffles.
- At North Carolina, Larry Fedora and his staff have a unique way of evaluating a player's workout.
The Film Room: each week we come across a mountain of films from programs across the country. Here's the best of what we posted this week.
- Alabama strength coach Scott Cochran gave the media a tour of the Crimson Tide's new weight palace in a way that only he can. It's real, and it's spectacular.
- Take a look inside Samford's signing day.
- Utah State had an incredible 2012 season, and the Aggies have the video to prove it.
- Oregon State players held their own dunk contest at halftime of a recent Beavers basketball game.
- The Texas video staff gave us a bird's eye view as the Longhorns conducted the circle drill at practice this week.
- You've got to love the quote Indiana uses for their workout video. "This fight is won far or lost far away from witnesses."
The best in non-coaching news: We specialize in coaching news at FootballScoop, but that doesn't mean we're not keeping track of the rest of the college football world.
- The MAC announced its 2013 schedule on Friday. Get ready for a triple shot of MACtion in November.
- The ACC revealed its 2013 slate earlier this week with Pittsburgh and Syracuse now in the league. Maryland will play its last ACC season this fall, with Louisville on its way to replace them.
- Not to be outdone, the Sun Belt also announced its 2013 schedule on Friday. Early prediction: the winner of the Western Kentucky - Louisiana - Lafayette game takes the cake.
- Arizona is in the process of renovating its stadium and constructing a new football facility. Here's how the project stands now, in photos.
- The NCAA rules committee recently announced that the penalty for targeting was changed from a 15-yarder to an ejection. Air Force head coach and NCAA football rules committee chair Troy Calhoun explains why.