Quantcast

Brady Hoke: This might sound arrogant...

Brady Hoke just wrapped up his first ever media session at Big 10 media day.

Most interestingly, Hoke made the statement that, “I don’t think we are rebuilding, period.  We are Michigan.” (Cutcliffe says, "We are Duke.")

Hoke also stated, “Denard ran the same offense in high school.” (Apparently, Hoke felt a little just more comfortable hiring Al Borges than the OC at Deerfield Beach HS.)

Asked why recruiting is going so well, Hoke said, “This might sound arrogant.  If it is, it is.  But we are Michigan.  We are the winningest program in the history of college football.”

Hoke explained that the change in offensive style will have an overall benefit to the Michigan program.

“When you’re defense plays against a pro-style offense all spring and all fall, you build a toughness and an edge. We think we can play better defense by how we operate on the offensive side of the ball because how they feed off each other.”

Michigan opens with five consecutive home games against Western Michigan, Notre Dame, Eastern Michigan, San Diego State, and Minnesota.

In other words, a lot of Beth Mowins and Mike Bellotti.

Photos of Oklahoma State's new uniforms have leaked

The photos of the Oklahoma State’s new uniforms have leaked.

It’s been speculated for months that Gottlieb’s alma mater could be going “Oregon style” on us.

It’s true. To say the least, Gundy wont' be short on possible uniform combinations.  It appears that gray has joined the traditional colors of orange and black for Oklahoma State.

The Cowboys will have an “all black” look including black helmets.  They could opt for a number of combinations featuring gray, white, orange, and black.  A new gray helmet looks legit, but we’re not sure about that mean looking cartoon cowboy on the hip of the pants.

Here’s a look at the new threads.

But don’t get confused, running backs coach Jemal Singleton still wants a sea of orange inside Boone Pickens Stadium.

 

 

Erin Andrews fires back at TV show host for questioning Nick Saban

On Thursday morning, Erin Andrews and Kirk Herbstreit appeared in studio on The Morning Joe with host Joe Scarborough.

There was an awkward moment during the segment.  It's must see TV.

Scarborough, at one point, says “Can you believe how good this team (Alabama) was last year and how many loses they had? To be blunt, I think there’s some really bad coaching.  They had one of the best squads top to bottom.”

That’s when Eric Andrews lost it and Herb Herbstreit undoubtedly wondered in his mind, “Did I really just come on this show?” (Watch his facial expression.)

Erin Andrews responded in disgust, “Are you kidding?  You have one of the best coaches in America.”

Awkward.  Andrews wasn't joking.

Scarborough went on to ask Eric Andrews, “So how do our Florida Gators do this year?”

Andrews, still hot (about Scarborough’s statement regarding Saban), shot back, “You went to law school at UF, but you cheer for the Houndstooth, so don’t claim them right now.  And then you’re on national TV and you just said the horrible coaching of Nick Saban so…”

Just watch.  It was awkward.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

UNC chancellor explains why

During a Thursday morning press conference, UNC chancellor Holden Thorpe said, “We anticipate we won’t be dismissing Coach Davis for cause.  We will not.”

“I don’t believe he knew about the things that went on.”

Those were just two of the interesting things that were stated during the presser.

Athletic director Dick Babbour, who is under contract through next summer, acknowledged that he has offered to step down.  The chancellor will immediately begin a search for a new athletic director.  Baddour will stay on until the new AD has been named.

Baddour will not be involved in the selection of the new head coach.

Baddour explained, “As someone who has hired coaches for the past 14 years, I know it is even more imperative for my successor be able to name the next permanent head coach.  Therefore, I have asked Chancellor Thorpe to begin the search for an athletic director as soon as possible, so that that person may be available to hire the permanent head coach in time to recruit next season’s freshman class. Your head coach needs to know who your athletic director is going to be.”

Asked if dismissing Butch Davis was a reaction to potentially lightening the severity of the forthcoming NCAA penalties, Thorpe responded, “Absolutely, not.  We reached the point where that’s not the primary concern anymore.”

Thorpe said, “We can’t get better without making a change.”

“I considered making changes in the fall and throughout this whole process.”

“I know that the timing is terrible.”

UNC is on the hook for a maximum of $2.75 million to Butch Jones.  The chancellor will be meeting with the staff later today to determine who will serve as the interim head coach.

Butch Davis releases statement, but will not be doing interviews

Butch Davis address his dismissal as the UNC head coach this evening.

Davis said, "I was honestly shocked to receive word that I will no longer be the head football coach at the University of North Carolina. I can honestly say that I leave with full confidence that I have done nothing wrong. I was the head coach and I realize the responsibility that comes with that role."

"But I was not personally involved in, nor aware of, any actions that prompted the NCAA investigation. I thank my family for enduring this tough situation. I thank the fans and broader university community who have embraced us and endured these difficult circumstances with poise and grace. To the players, I wish them only the best on the field and academically. The coaches and their families know how much I appreciate their work and dedication. It's a sad day, but I'm certain better times will follow."

Davis also released a statement:

"My family and I were surprised and saddened to learn that I have been relieved of my duties as head football coach at Carolina. I am not naïve enough to have ever considered this situation anything less than a serious matter and a significant priority. I have worked as hard as possible to address all aspects of the program that have been questioned. I fully believe we were on our way to getting past these issues and move forward. vMy family and I have been able to endure this difficult period in our lives for several reasons: First and foremost, as a family we have known all along that I personally did nothing wrong. That is the truth. Second, we have also had remarkable support from friends, family, the players, our coaching staff and so many others within the Tar Heel community. That these players and coaches were able to achieve the success they did last season, under such circumstances, makes me enormously proud."

"Moving forward, I wish only the best for the current team and coaches. For the players in particular, I wish them nothing but success on the field and in the classroom. The coaches already know how I feel about them. I couldn’t be more proud of their hard work and dedication. In fact, during the past year or so, my respect and love for our players, the coaching staff and the football administrative staff has grown enormously. It’s a wonderful group of people and I will miss them all."

"For now, I will not be doing any interviews. Perhaps in time I will feel more comfortable about discussing my future. But for now, it’s important to move on as smoothly as possible, because I absolutely do not want to add any further distraction for the players and coaching staff as they approach the 2011 season."

Recent News

Video: This is how you turn around an 0-10 program


Players will get next to nothing from $60...


Video: Georgia Southern tours their new football...


The Scoop | HS Scoop
Hot | New | Must Read