The best from today's action - updated all day
- Published: Saturday, 30 August 2014 12:31
- by Scott Roussel
Well, this is one of the best days of the year. Hundreds of football games (at all levels) and everyone is undefeated as of this morning. Let the games; and the journey, begin...
Penn State began the morning with an important win for the program in James Franklin's first game as head coach. Penn State's defense thwarted UCF's offense in the first half; but UCF brought on freshman QB Justin Holman in the second half and he played a great game. He threw the ball well, ran it well and made heady decisions. Impressive start for this young man; but in the end, Penn State got the ball back with about 1:20 to play and down one. Hackenberg drove them to the 20 and Penn State made the field goal as time expired for the win. Fun second half to watch.
UCF basically gave away the first half offensively. Justin Holman may rescue them from that bad decision yet. — Pat Forde (@YahooForde) August 30, 2014
I loved this play.
Wow, the Hack pump-and-go just reeled in the secondary. Huge play. — Pat Forde (@YahooForde) August 30, 2014
Over on GameDay, clearly my favorite segment was "Coaches read mean tweets". Saban and Hoke were good; but I loved how Muschamp and Mullen responded to theirs.
2 surprises after 1st: Ohio State 3, Navy 0 w/Navy about to score & UCLA-Virginia scoreless — Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) August 30, 2014
This keen observation took place about a minute before halftime.
UCLA's defense now has two more touchdowns than Houston's offense. — Barrett Sallee (@BarrettSallee) August 30, 2014
I flinched in my seat when I saw this live.
I think Youngstown State just blocked its own punt. — Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) August 30, 2014
Big 4th down call for Jim Mora. What's he thinking? Well, have a listen.
So, how'd that work out?
North Dakota State is closing in on its 3rd win in 3 tries vs. the Big 12. Kansas has 3 wins in its last 43 Big 12 games. — Zach Barnett (@zach_barnett) August 30, 2014
Some observations from the early games:
- Both Penn State and UCF will win a lot of games this year. UCF's QB Holman came out of nowhere and could be special.
- Ohio State struggled to get their offense going and had a challenging time defending Navy's offense. I'm sure Urban is happy to put that game behind them.
- UCLA looked out of sync the entire game. Nothing flowed. No rhythm. They got the W; but we saw more questions than answers. UVA's offense needs to get better fast.
- Pitt just demolished Delaware (62-0).
- North Dakota State hasn't lost anything.
- Youngstown State was in their game against Illinois until they wore down a bit in the 4th.
- UAB looked like a completely different team from last year. They waxed Troy 48-10.
- Kentucky handled their scrimmage against UT-Martin with ease.
- NC State had to fight from behind to get the win over Georgia Southern.
Longest active winning streaks against FBS competition: 1. FSU (15), 2. Michigan State (10), 3. UTSA (6), 4. NDSU (5). — Paul Myerberg (@PaulMyerberg) August 30, 2014
During West Virginia's hyper-efficient opening drive:
<Recalling when Nick Saban said the media made too much of the HUNH offense.> — Aaron Suttles (@AaronSuttles) August 30, 2014
If you look closely at the Alabama sideline, you might be able to see a red-faced Nick Saban blast off through dome and into space. — Adam Kramer (@KegsnEggs) August 30, 2014
N.C. State 24, Georgia Southern 23.
ACC Atlantic Update: Syracuse and NC State beat Villanova and Ga Southern by 1 point apiece, after Wake Forest loses to UL-Monroe. — Matt Hinton (@MattRHinton) August 30, 2014
So Auburn is off to a 21-7 lead over Arkansas behind the very strong play of their "backup" QB Jeremy Johnson...
396.7: Jeremy Johson's QB rating. Now 8-for-8, 204 yards, 2TDs. Every Auburn possession has ended in Arkansas' end zone. — Zach Barnett (@zach_barnett) August 30, 2014
nick marshall will never smoke weed again — Chris Vernon (@ChrisVernonShow) August 30, 2014