Saturday Top Ten - 2012's Best Alternate Uniforms
- by Zach Barnett 1 year ago
You've seen plenty of columns debating the best uniforms in college football. But with uniforms becoming less uniform by the year, we thought this edition of our Saturday Top Ten would focus on the best alternate looks in college football so far this season.
1. Navy - The Midshipmen shelved their gold helmets for a white look with an anchor and blue and gold stripes for their 17-13 win over Army on Dec. 8.
2. Oregon - NCAA bylaws mandate that any uniform column mention Oregon, and since any uniform the Ducks broke out this season could technically be described as "alternate", we chose to go point out the one time Oregon wore its traditional colors, green and yellow. Oregon beat Arkansas State 57-34 on Sept. 1.
3. UCLA - The Bruins dubbed their all-blue look as "L.A. Nights". UCLA played lights out in racing past Arizona 66-10 on Nov. 3.
4. Boise State - Boise State is forbidden from wearing all blue at home by the Mountain West Conference. The Broncos went a shade darker for their 32-7 victory over UNLV on Oct. 20.
5. Vanderbilt - Black and gold is one of the best color combinations a team can wear, and Vanderbilt worked it to perfection against Florida on Oct. 13. The Gators topped Vanderbilt, 31-17.
6. Rutgers - For the second straight year, the Scarlet Knights traded scarlet in their scarlet, this time for a metallic silver with stars and stripes, against Army on Nov. 10. The Scarlet Knights beat the Black Knights, 28-7.
7. Southern Miss - Not a lot went right for Southern Miss this season, but the Golden Eagles looked good in their 1970's throwbacks in a 59-24 loss to Marshall on Oct. 20.
8. Northwestern - Pat Fitzgerald's team wore an exploded Wildcat on their helmet for its game with Illinois on Nov. 24. Northwestern exploded on the Fighting Illini, 50-14.
9. Oklahoma State - Much like Oregon, nearly every uniform Oklahoma State wears could be classified as an alternate. We chose to honor the all-black kits with Pistol Pete on the helmet that the Pokes wore for their 36-10 defeat of TCU on Oct. 27.
10. West Virginia - The Mountaineers broke away from their traditional blue and yellow for an all-gray look in their 31-21 win over Maryland on Sept. 22. The gray was worn to honor the state of West Virginia's coal miners.