17 stats you need to know about Week 3 of the college football season
- by Zach Barnett 10 months ago
Making our way around the world of football, one stat at a time.
As always, if we missed anything let us know at or @FootballScoop on Twitter.
- Penn State went 2-for-8 on third down in its 34-31 loss to Central Florida, raising its third down conversion rate to 11.8 percent on the season. The Nittany Lions have now converted on four of 34 third downs. Miami (Ohio), who was idle on Saturday, fell into last place at 3-for-29 (10.3 percent).
- On the flip side, opponents have converted 26-of-40 third down attempts versus Air Force (65 percent), the most in the nation.
- The 628 yards gained by Texas A&M were an Alabama opponent record, and the 42 points allowed were the most in Nick Saban's six-plus seasons.
- Oregon is the only team in the nation that has yet to lose a turnover.
- North Texas and Tulane share the nation's lead with 11 turnovers forced through three games apiece.
- At this time last week, four teams had played two games without allowing a sack (Auburn, Indiana, Nebraska and Oregon). Each of those teams allowed at least two sacks on Saturday. Georgia Tech (2-0) is the only FBS team yet to surrender a sack.
- Kansas (still) has not beaten an FBS opponent since September 10, 2011.
- Twenty-three teams have earned points on every red zone trip thus far this season. Among those 23 squads, Oregon State leads the bunch with 18 successful trips in 18 attempts (14 touchdowns, four field goals).
- Wisconsin (eight) has three more plays of 50-plus yards than any other team in the country.
- Georgia Tech is the only team in the country yet to allow a play of 30 yards or more.
- In five head-to-head games this year, SEC teams are averaging 34 points and 482 yards per game. (via @MattRHinton)
- In two head-to-head games this year, Big 12 teams are averaging 13.3 points and 389.8 yards per game.
- Baylor, Houston and Navy are the only FBS squads yet to record a three-and-out this season. Navy is also the only team in America that has not punted thus far in 2013. (via @CoachesBTN)
- Of Maryland's 50 offensive snaps in the first three quarters in its win over Connecticut, 11 went for 20 or more yards. (via @KevinRDuffy)
- Texas has now allowed 40 points or more in six of its last 12 games. (via @BrettMcMurphy)
- More than 85 percent of Virginia Tech's defensive possessions have started and ended with the opponent failing to cross the 50-yard line. (via @CoachesBTN)
Finally, one (horrific) non-football stat to close on: