USC says it has impostors calling coaching candidates
- by Zach Barnett 10 months ago
Coaching switches often take strange twists and turns, but the tweet USC sent out today was unlike anything I'd ever seen:
USC has been alerted that individuals posing as USC representatives made overtures to coaches regarding the head football coaching position. — USC Trojans (@USC_Athletics) October 7, 2013
Tony Dungy said today on the Dan Patrick Show he was contacted by a USC representative asking about his interest in their vacant coaching positions. He declined, but said he'd be willing to help with the process.
USC has countered with its own denial - that they never even made the phone call.
"Tony's discussion on the radio today of being contacted by USC was a complete surprise to us," USC athletics director Pat Haden said in the school's statement. "So were the calls made to the Broncos. I can assure you no authorized representative of USC or our athletic department made these calls.
"As I said last week, we will not comment on every name that comes out. It would be a disservice to our players and coaches, who are devoting everything they have into the remainder of our season. We have a head coach right now in Ed Orgeron. We have not offered the job to anyone."
Jack Del Rio, a former USC player and oft-mentioned candidate for the job, presently serves as the Broncos' defensive coordinator.
From the blog post the Trojans released explaining the situation, they believe it was two different people making the calls.
One thing we are sure of - the Ed Orgeron-Trojans next play Thursday night versus Arizona (10:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1). As always, we'll keep you informed when athletics department-approved news breaks.