Four weeks are in the books. Here are the stats you need to know
- by Doug Samuels 11 months ago
With four weeks in the books from the college football season, and three for the NFL, we took a look at a handful of noteworthy stats from around the country.
- For the first time in NFL history the Giants and Redskins have both started off 0-3.
- Under Jim Mora, UCLA has blocked an impressive 10 kicks in 17 games (via Dennis Dodd).
- Dating back to 1990, only three teams have started 0-3 and gone on to make the playoffs. Right now the Washington, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Jacksonville, and the NY Giants are all sitting winless at 0-3.
- Through 103 carries last year, Arizona State's Marion Grice lost just five yards. Against Stanford's vaunted run defense Saturday, Grice lost 12 yards on 17 carries (he finished with 50 yards total rushing) (H/T Doug Haller).
- Texas Tech has scored on their opening possession of every game this season (H/T Aaron Dickens).
- Miami of Ohio is just 3-of-40 (7.5 percent) on third down tries (last nationally). UCLA leads the country at 28-of-41 (68.3 percent).
- Minnesota has already rushed for more touchdowns through four games (16) than they did in 13 games last season (14).
- Northwestern converted on 50 percent or more of their third down tries for the sixth straight game on Saturday.
- FIU managed just 30 yards of total offense and 40 penalty yards against Louisville.
- Texas State, Michigan and Iowa are the only teams in the country who have yet to allow a rushing touchdown. Washington State, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma have kept teams scoreless via the pass.
- Alabama's 81 rushing yards (before sacks) on Saturday were the least allowed by Colorado State since 2009, while the Tide's 48 offensive snaps were the fewest of the Nick Saban era (via Matt Hinton).
- Northwestern leads the nation with 10 interceptions through 4 games. Missouri has picked off 9 through 3 games.
- Five teams have yet to throw a pick (Oregon, Clemson, Navy, Arizona, New Mexico). Of those teams, only Oregon and Clemson average 30 or more pass attempts per game.
- Air Force is allowing minus-5 yards per punt return attempt. Houston, Fresno State, Boise State, and Wyoming are the only other schools allowing negative punt return yardage.
- Bowling Green has forced six fumbles and recovered each one (100 percent). On the flip side, Louisiana Tech has fumbled seven times and has lost each and every one.
- Texas A&M has managed 121 first downs throught four games. That is exactly 100 more than Miami (OH) has managed through three games.
- Miami is the only team in the country that has yet to fumble.
- Of the 10 teams to produce points on each of its red zone trips, Oklahoma State is the only squad to score a touchdown every time (15-for-15). Oregon State (18 touchodwns, four field goals in 22 trips) has the most red zone penetrations with out an empty trip.
- Boston College has one of the most disciplined teams in the country, allowing just 15 penalty yards per game. Washington is on the opposite side of the spectrum, giving opponents nearly 100 yards in penalties.
- Baylor averages 9.84 yards per play on 229 snaps, and more than a third (78, 34.1 percent) of its plays have gone for 10 yards or more.