The Scoop on stats - Week 3
- by Doug Samuels 1 year ago
A couple of interesting statistical nuggets through three weeks of college football action.
Tomorrow night Kent State heads to Buffalo to get week 4 started.
- In August / September of 2011 only three teams were averaging over 50 points per game (Georgia Tech, Oregon and Baylor). Through three games this season seven teams are averaging over 50 points per game, including Oklahoma State who is averaging over 62 points per contest.
- Florida State (1 point per game average through 3 games) and TCU (3 points per game allowed through two games) are the only teams yet to allow a touchdown defensively.
- Oklahoma has allowed their opponents in the red zone only once, and they did not allow a point in that trip.
- Northwestern (8/8), Boston College (7/7), and Auburn (6/6) are the only teams with more than 5 field goal attempts that have converted on 100% of their attempts. Alabama, Louisville, Arkansas State, Army and Utah have all yet to allow a field goal against them.
- Alabama and Mississippi State are tied at the top in turnover margin with 3.67 per game (12 gained, 1 lost for a +11 margin). Utah is forcing fumbles at a clip of over 3 per game (10 through 3 games).
- New Mexico leads the country with 16 true freshman seeing playing time through 3 games. LSU and TCU have each played 15 true freshman so far.
- Through 14 years and 172 college games, Junes Jones has been held without a touchdown just three times in his college coaching career. Texas A&M beat SMU 48-3 this past Saturday.
- Five teams, (Oklahoma State, Air Force, UTSA, Middle Tennessee, and Boise State) have yet to allow a sack.
- Florida State's defense is allowing less than 2 yards per play (1.91), and just over 100 yards total per game (103.3).
- The country's top two passing offenses are from the state of West Virginia (Marshall - 425 yards per game, West Virginia - 386 yards per game).
- TCU is completing an impressive 87.2% (41/47) of their passes. West Virginia is the only other team above 80% completions with 82.8% (72/87). Louisville has attempted the most passes (75) without an interception.
- Arizona (108), Texas Tech (107), and Oklahoma State (102) are the only teams to have more than 100 first downs through the first three games.
- Four programs (USC, Louisiana-Monroe, Vanderbilt, and Houston) have double digit 4th down attempts. Out of those four, Louisiana-Monroe is converting at the highest clip at nearly 82%.